Infant Massage provides many benefits for babies and parents.
Benefits for Baby Include:
- Infant-Parent Bonding
- Helps baby feel loved
- Helps baby sleep
- Facilitates body awareness
- Boosts immune system
- Improves skin condition
- Improves blood circulation
- Helps with digestion
- Balances respiration
- Provides relief for teething pain
- Helps with waste elimination
- Helps build parents’ and baby’s self-esteem
- Helps parents learn about their baby’s needs and desires
- Pleasurable experience
- Stimulates production of Oxytocin (a hormone that provides pain relief and relaxation).
Benefits of Infant Massage for Parents Include:
- Helps parents and caregivers feel more comfortable and confident in their ability to care for baby
- Parents have better understanding of baby’s cues and learn how to respond to cues
- Parents learn techniques to comfort, calm, and soothe their babies
- Provides an additional method for close and nurturing contact.
If you would like to learn how to massage your baby, please contact Lorri Greiner, RN, Maternal-Child Health Nurse; Certified Lactation Counselor at (712)-527-9699.