In Iowa, the County Recorder's office was created in 1839 by the First Legislative Assembly to record, manage and maintain real estate documents and other miscellaneous documents. Since its creation, the County Recorder's office has acquired numerous additional responsibilities. In addition to recording, managing, and maintaining documents, the Recorder's office issues marriage licenses; files birth, death, and marriage certificates; and issues certified copies of Vital Records.
The Recorder's office issues fishing and hunting licenses through the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) electronic licensing system (ELSI). Under the guidelines of the Iowa DNR, the office also registers and titles boat, snowmobile, ATVs, and ORVs.
Duties of the Recorder
- Records at length all instruments of record which may be filed for record consisting principally of deeds, military records, mortgages, plats, assignments, releases, affidavits, and vital records
- Reports monthly to Board of Supervisors all fees collected, paying same to County Treasurer.
- Sales of hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses, trout stamps, duck stamps, and habitat stamps, boat, ATV, and snowmobile registrations. Additional information can be found on the Iowa DNR website.
- Issues all real estate transfer stamps.
The Mills County Recorder is not a passport acceptance agency.
Genealogy research is not performed by the Mills County Recorder's office. However, this office has land and vital records that are open to the public. Other local genealogy information sources:
- Glenwood Library
109 Vine Street
Glenwood, IA 51534
- Phone Number: 712-527-5252
- House File 2130 - ATV's & UTV's
- Application for Certified Copy or Photocopy of Military Record (PDF)
- Application for Registration, Title and Security Interest (Boat, ATV, Snowmobile) (PDF)
- Bill of Sale for ATV, Boat or Snowmobile (PDF)
- Business Trade Name Form (PDF)
- Groundwater Hazard Statement - Attachment 1 (Notice of Waste Disposal Site) (PDF)
- Groundwater Hazard Statement Form (To Be Completed by Transferor) (PDF)
- Real Estate Transfer Declaration of Value Instructions (PDF)
- Solemnizing Marriages in Iowa Brochure (PDF)
- State of Iowa Marriage Instructions Handout (PDF)
- Groundwater Hazard Statement Instructions (PDF)
- Real Estate Transfer Declaration of Value Form (PDF)