How do I protest my valuation?

Taxpayers that do not agree with the assessed valuation of their property have the right to protest that value of the current year’s assessment to the Local Board of Review.

A protest petition must be completed and filed with the Assessor’s office between April 2nd and April 30th of the assessment year being challenged. 

The Local Board of Review Organizational Meeting is on the first weekday of May. At this time, they will schedule the hearings for all protests that have been received timely. 

An informal hearing with the Mills County Assessor is also an option available. These hearings can be scheduled with the Assessor within the month of April. If an agreement is not reached by the Assessor and the taxpayer, the taxpayer still has the ability to petition the Board. 

Show All Answers

1. What is market value?
2. How does the assessor estimate market value?
3. Why do values change?
4. What's the difference between Assessed Value and Taxable Value
5. How are agricultural properties assessed?
6. When are State Equalization Orders issued?
7. How do I protest my valuation?