Discharge papers (DD214’s) may be recorded for permanent records. In order to obtain a Certified Copy, the original document must be presented for recording. The DD214, must also be recorded before military exemption is applied toward property tax reduction. There is no fee for recording or getting a certified copy, although you have to show entitlement to receive a copy.

If the DD214 Military Discharge has been misplaced or destroyed prior to recording, a certified copy must be obtained from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. You may download a copy of the request from the National Archives and Register Administration.