Secondary Roads Department
The engineer's office is responsible for general supervision of construction, maintenance (including snow removal), and repair of highways and bridges of the county.
No one is eligible for this office who does not hold a license to practice civil engineering in the State of Iowa with a license issued by the Iowa State Board of Engineering Examiners.
Some of the responsiblities of the Secondary Roads department are:
- Surveys and plans all road work, tiling, culvert and bridge construction and to certify that such improvements have been made in accordance with the plans and specifications provided for the work.
- Inspects the construction of all roads and bridge work to see that all contracts are executed in accordance with the terms thereof and according to specifications of Iowa Department of Transportation.
- Certifies to County Auditor, payroll for road work.
- Approves bills drawn on road fund.
- Reports to Board of Supervisors all plans and specifications of road, bridge and culvert work.
- Reports annually to county and state all expenditures on road funds.
- Supervises all work done for improvements of the county road system.