Fishing and Hunting License Information

The Recorder’s office sells fishing, hunting, fur harvester, deer and wild turkey licenses. Habitat, migratory bird and trout fees may be purchased as well. Our office also has other special licenses available.

For additional hunting information visit the Iowa Department of Natural Resources at or contact the DNR in Des Moines at 515-281-8688.


Boat Registration and Title Information

The Mills County Recorder has the responsibility of registering and titling vessels of Mills County residents and non-residents if the vessel is principally used in Mills County.

Boat registrations expire on April 30th, every three years starting in 2007. Boat fees are based on the length of the boat. All boats 17 feet and longer require a title (except canoes and kayaks).

Items needed when transferring a boat:

State Sales Tax Information:

  • Sales of boats and other watercraft in Iowa are subject to the state sales tax of 5 percent plus local option taxes, if any. This applies to sales by Individuals, as well as, dealers.
  • Anyone purchasing a boat from an individual should obtain a receipt that shows the cost of the boat. The buyer will then pay the sales tax on the cost of the boat to the County Recorder.
  • If a trailer is purchased with the boat, the 5% motor vehicle use tax is paid to the County Treasurer.

Boating Laws:

For state boating law information, call the Iowa Department of Natural Resources at: (515) 281-5918 or click here to visit their website.

For federal boating laws, call the U.S. Coast Guard’s Boating Safety Infoline at 1-800-368-5647.



ATV and Snowmobile Registration and Title

The Mills County Recorder has the responsibility of registering and titling ATV’s and snowmobiles of Mills County residents. The registrations expire on December 31st of each year. Titles are required on all ATV’s registered since January 2000 and on all snowmobiles registered since January 1998.

Items needed when transferring an ATV/snowmobile:

ATV & Snowmobile Laws:

For more information about ATV and Snowmobile Registrations and Titles, visit the Iowa Department of Natural Resources website.